Expertise: The research unit in Palermo has gathered key skills regarding radio technologies for the definition of new protocols for accessing the shared medium and for large-scale experimentation through European testbeds. The research unit in Palermo has know-how, projects, prototypes and datasets as follows, spreading over scientific, technologic and applicative features.
- Software-defined networks with specific abstractions for wireless networks using the Wireless MAC Processor (one US patent, one H2020 ongoing project – WiSHFUL);
- Platform for testing new MAC solutions using programmable device (USRP/WARP) and commercial ones (Broadcom B43). This is available to experimenters that want to work remotely using UPIs (Unified Program Interfaces);
- 5G networks (on H2020 project – FLEX5GWARE);
- Computer vision-based technologies for disabilities and for blind and visually impaired (1 patent, one academic spinoff, one prototype of navigation system);
- IoT applications for smart grids (1 national project – i-Next);
- Indoor location and tracking using Wi-Fi signals and inertial sensors. Security and data access control (secure multiparty computation, handling health data, information-centric security);
- Data analysis and models for e-commerce and logistics;
- Image registering for nuclear magnetic resonance;
- Channel coding, fountain coding and software-defined receivers.
Address: Dipartimento di Ingegneria Elettrica, Elettronica e delle Telecomunicazioni, Viale delle Scienze, edificio 9 – 90128 PALERMO
Phone: +39 (0)91 6615 211 [root+ext]
Fax: +39 (0)91 488 452
Research Unit Responsible: Prof. Giovanni GARBO
University Representative in the Shareholders’ Assembly: Prof.ssa Ilenia TINNIRELLO
Members of the Research Unit